- Scotland lockdown extended until the end of February
- New “mutations of concern” found in Bristol and Liverpool
- Michael Gove: EU Commission “mucked up”
4:47pm – The PM has also sent his condolences to Sir Tom’s family.
4:26pm – There has been an outpouring of messages across the political spectrum paying tribute to Sir Tom.
4:14pm – Captain Sir Tom Moore, who became famous for raising over £32 million for the NHS, has sadly died after contracting covid in the past fortnight.
Our thoughts go out to his family at this difficult time.
3:25pm – Lord Heseltine on why ‘there’s simply no will’ to improve devolution in England.
2:41pm – Scotland stays in lockdown until the end of February.
1:50pm – Oh great, more variants *sighs*
1:32pm – Michael Gove has been critical of the EU Commission this afternoon.
12:10pm – The housing committee chair, Clive Betts, on yesterday’s cladding debate.
10:43am – For context, after being sacked from the SNP front bench, Joanna Cherry had to report a serious threat to her personal wellbeing to the police last night and move to a safe location.
Both MPs are in embroiled in a huge role over gender-identification and trans rights.
10:15am – New from Politics.co.uk:
9:02am – It’s Jonathan Van-Tam’s birthday today! The deputy chief medical officer is 57. Many happy returns, Jonathan.
8:30am – Ministerial media rounds:
Up this morning is the universities minister, Michelle Donelan.
8:15am – Here is what’s happening happening in UK politics this morning:
- The UK government deny reports of SAGE advocating a full hotel quarantine for all international arrivals, as they look to stop the spread of the South African variant.
- Scotland to announce the findings of its review of current lockdown measures.
- The Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Select Committee look at English devolution this morning.
8:00am – Good morning and welcome to Politics Live.
A reminder of what happened yesterday:
- Matt Hancock outlines increased testing for postcodes affected by new South African variant of covid.
- Joanna Cherry sacked from SNP front bench.
- UK secures 40 million additional Valneva vaccine doses.