Mozilla plans to release Firefox 88.0 Stable and Firefox 78.10 ESR to the public on April 19, 2021. The new stable version patches security and non-security issues, and introduces new changes to the browser.
All Firefox channels receive updates at around the same time. Firefox Beta and Developer are updated to Firefox 89, Firefox Nightly to 90, and Firefox for Android will be updated to version 88 as well, but the release will likely be delayed somewhat.
Check out our Firefox 87.0 release overview in case you missed it.
- Firefox 88 and Firefox 78.10 ESR fix security issues in Firefox.
- Firefox 89, the next stable version, will likely come with the new Proton interface design.
Firefox 88.0 download and update
All new Firefox versions are pushed via the browser’s automatic update feature. Select Menu > Help > About Firefox to check the installed version and to run a manual check for updates.
Manual downloads are also available. The following pages list direct downloads for supported Firefox channels.
New features and improvements
Window.name isolation privacy fix
Window.name data is limited to the website that created it in Firefox 88 to “protect against cross-site privacy leaks. The property was preserved previously throughout a tab’s lifetime, and that meant that it could leak information and could potentially be abused for tracking.
- FTP Support has been disabled in this release. FTP support can be enabled again in Firefox 88 and 89 by setting the preference network.ftp.enabled to TRUE using about:config. Support will be removed permanently in Firefox 90.
- Take Screenshot is no longer listed under Page Actions. Firefox users may either right-click on a page and select Take Screenshot, or use the customize menu to add a screenshot button to the toolbar.
- New grace period for camera and microphone access prompts. Firefox won’t ask multiple times within 50 seconds if a request was granted to the same device, site and tab.
- Screen readers won’t read content that is visually hidden on a webpage anymore.
- Localized print margins are now supported.
- Linux users get smooth pinch-zooming support on touch-devices.
- New toggle button to switch between raw and formatted response views.
- image-set() functional notation is enabled.
- Default monospace font on Mac OS changed to Menlo.
- RegExp match indices are now supported.
- The release notes list no known issues.
Security updates / fixes
Security updates are revealed after the official release of the web browser. You find the information published here after release.
Firefox 89.0 will be released on June 1, 2021, two weeks later than originally scheduled.
Recently Reviewed Firefox extensions
Recent Firefox news and tips
Additional information / sources